Sunday, July 5, 2009

Phase 2 of Simulation

I am starting to get excited about all of this. During Phase One, I invested a total of $8000 in pretend money and made a profit, after trading fees, of $486 – about 6%. However, I also would still have $8000 tied up in the market. I will continue to track these purchases and results, but for Phase 2 we will assume that I have an additional $10,000 ($1000 per stock) to invest. Not exactly real world for me, but since I am going "live" at the end of the month with my paltry little $1000 total, I don't think it makes a difference. J

I got an annoying email from etrade a couple of days ago that they are raising their price per trade to $12.99 each. Blah. I will probably decide to change services later, but for now I will include the rate change in my calculations from this point forward.

So I went through the same stock selection process and came up with a new list of stocks. I think that doing this every four weeks should work for my purposes. I added some new criteria this go round. I have decided to exclude stocks trading under $1 from consideration. I think that the strategy will work for those stocks, but it will take a longer period of time based upon what I learned in Phase 1. I also figured out a starting point for including trading volume into the mix: If the daily volume is represented in thousands, not millions, I am excluding it from the list.

Here is the new list for Phase 2:

Symbol

Company

Sell Price

Buy Price

Return

BZ

Boise Inc.

$ 2.05

$ 1.70

21%

CNO

Conesco

$ 2.40

$ 2.00

20%

TWMC

Trans World Entertainment

$ 1.00

$ 0.85

18%

LCC

US Airways Group

$ 2.70

$ 2.30

17%

RAD

Rite Aid Corporation

$ 1.45

$ 1.25

16%

UIS

Unisys

$ 1.50

$ 1.30

15%

LVLT

Level 3 Communications

$ 1.50

$ 1.30

15%

GBNK

Guaranty Bancorp

$ 2.05

$ 1.80

14%

NLS

Nautilus Inc.

$ 1.30

$ 1.15

13%

SSP

E. W. Scripps Company

$ 2.15

$ 1.90

13%


 

Tracking of Phase One:

Stock

Buy Week

Invested

Sell Week

Sell Price or Sold

Fees

Net Profit

SSP (2)

07/03

$1000

 

2.25

$10

-$10

CMRG (2)

07/03

$1000

 

2.25

$10

-$10

IGOI

07/03

$1000

 

.75

$10

-$10

GBNK (3)

07/03

$1000

 

2.20

$10

-$10

CMRG (1)

06/26

$1000

07/03

$1125

$20

$105

SSP (1)

06/19

$1000

06/26

$1125

$20

$105

BZ

06/19

$1000

 

2.20

$10

-$10

LCC

06/12

$1000

 

2.95

$10

-$10

FRE

06/12

$1000

 

.80

$10

-$10

FOH

06/12

$1000

 

.75

$10

-$10

LVLT

06/12

$1000

06/12

$1102

$20

$82

GBNK (2)

06/12

$1000

06/26

$1157

$10

$137

GBNK (1)

06/12

$1000

06/12

$1157

$20

$137

Total Profit:

$486

No comments:

Post a Comment